Bishkek Soviet architecture
Soviet murals in Bishkek
Architecture is one of the essential elements of a city’s appearance. While visiting Bishkek, guests can observe a mixture of Soviet brutal buildings, soviet time mosaics as well as modern structures. Bishkek has well-preserved Soviet Era structures and here are some of them that are worth checking out.
Soviet Architecture in Bishkek
Kyrgyz Drama Theater
At the intersection of st. Panfilov and Abdymomunov
Inside of Gallery Exhibition Hall
At the intersection of st. Manasa (former Belinskaya street) and Chui.
Pervomaisky District Court of Bishkek
This red color building is located in the centre of Bishkek, at the intersection of st. Abdrakhmanov (former Soviet street) and Bokonbaev. It houses the Pervomaisky Rayonnti Sud (First May district court) of Bishkek.
Originally it was built in 1938 as a multi functional firemen’s house with garages, offices, classrooms and even a gym.
However, the Great Patriotic War changed (this is how the WW2 is called in Kyrgyzstan) everything including the primary purpose of the structure. The Kharkov Medical Institute was evacuated to Frunze, particularly to this building along with teachers and their families.
Later a club and a sports school were opened in the house. On August 12, 1992, the first and second floors of the northern part of the building with a total area of 892 sq. m were transferred to the use of Pervomaisky Court of Bishkek.
Souvenir shop "Snail"
An interesting structure in the shape of a snail stands hidden in a park and barely noticeable due to the lost tile color and being covered by a long-term layer of dirt. Originally it was souvenir shop built in 1971 and is one of the symbols of Soviet architecture design of the 1960s.
Despite its small size, the construction took two years – from 1969 to 1971 due to the complexity of the structure of the shell kind form of the Snail. The building consists of two rooms, souvenirs were sold in the main room during Soviet times. Later it was sold and turned into a cafe and the new owners made some changes adding tobacco advertisement “West” at the top of the building. Consequently it is also an reminder of the time when tobacco advertising was still allowed.
Next to theis building there is a monument with the inscription “Belek” (“gift” in translation from Kyrgyz) as a reminder that the building was originally a souvenir shop.
Automobile Road College
At the intersection of Mir (Tynchtyk) avenue and st. Zhamanbaev
At the intersection of Mir (Tynchtyk) avenue and st. Akhunbaev
White house is the administration building of the Kyrgyz president standing at the best place among the Chuy avenue.
Monument to the Yak-50 aircraft
At the 12 micro district
Bishkek Ala-Too Square
Ministry of Agriculture
Pavilion "Juices - carbonated waters" or "Ak-Suu mineral water"
The Ak-Suu mineral water pavilion is another fine Soviet architectural monument built back in 1949. It is included in the State List of Historical and Cultural Monuments of the Kyrgyz Republic. The pavilion was famous among the residents because in Soviet time you could buy sparkling water here. Today the pavilion is rented by private individuals who have set up a small cafe there behind the Ala Too cinema.
At the intersection of st. Kievskaya and Logvinenko
The MiG-21F monument is known to the locals as “the plane near the Voentorg”. No exact information about it, soo most likely, it was installed to inspire pilots in Soviet times. Behind the monument located the headquarters of the National Guard.
Until 1975 all air foreign aviation transport in Kyrgyzstan was based at this building. The old airport is located on Mira Avenue about 500 m southwest of the Ahunbaeva intersection.
This beautiful building was designed by Evgeny Pisarsky and was presented to the public in 1956. It operated until 1981 when the last plane departed from the terminal. Just before closing for the reconstruction, it was working as the passport issuing office. At the moment is closed due to reconstruction.
Mosaic in the "Baichchek" house
“Baichechek” residential house, on Mir (Tynchtyk) avenue
Champagne wine factory
Champagne wine factory on Mir (Tynchtyk) avenue
Bishkek Friendship Monument
White marble monument was built in 1974 between the white house and Ala-Too Square to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Kyrgyzstan’s “Friendship” with Russia
It remarks that 100 years back in 1874, Kyrgyzstan was under the control of the Khanate of Kokand, however by the end of the 19th century, the Russian Empire had occupied and annexed the whole territory of Kyrgyzstan among with the other Central Asian states.
Soviet Style Residential buildings at the Centre of Bihkek
Residential house, at the intersection of st. kievskaya and Abdyrahmanova
Residential house, at the intersection of st. Gorkiy and Frunze
"Flourishing Kyrgyzstan" Mosaic
This large mosaic covers the entire end of an apartment block standing on the northern side of Vefa shopping center. Mosaic is in poor condition, the colors fading and many tiny cobalt glass tiles are missing due to neglect but the overall impression remains visible.
The central figure of this mosaic is a woman, dressed in traditional Kyrgyz clothing, standing open-armed in front of her fellow male and female citizens. They look hopeful, triumphant, and prosperous. Towers, flowing ribbons and rays of sun tower above them, reaching to the sky and beyond.
Other Things to see and Do in Bishkek
Page updated 20.4.2021